fiogf49gjkf0dGrace Elta" align="left">
Grace Elta grew up in Michigan, USA and attended the University of Michigan for both undergraduate and medical school. Her internship in internal medicine was also at the University of Michigan while her husband finished his PhD in electrical engineering.
Dr Elta then transferred to Tuft's New England Medical Center to complete her internal medicine residency and stayed there for a 2-year fellowship in gastroenterology. At the time Marshall Kaplan was the chief of the GI division and Dr Elta worked in the laboratory of Mark Donowitz.
In 1982 Dr Elta returned to Ann Arbor to join the faculty as a clinically oriented academician. Between 1981 and 1985 she had three children and was kept busy over the ensuing years in trying to keep up with both her family and career.
Dr Elta's current academic focus is biliary endoscopy. She also performs endoscopic ultrasound and follows a large number of patients with inflammatory bowel disease. She was recently on the AGA governing board due to her position as Chair of AGA Clinical Practice committee. Dr Elta is currently a counselor on the ASGE governing board and is on the GI subspecialty section of the American Board of Internal Medicine.
- What made you decide to become a gastroenterologist?
- I knew that I wanted to sub-specialize because I'm not smart enough to know all of medicine. I am sure that I would have been happy in many areas of internal medicine although I do love procedures.
- Who was the teacher you admired the most?
- Marshall Kaplan.
- Which research paper influenced you the most?
- Barry Marshall's Lancet paper on H. pylori.
- What is the most important fact that you have discovered?
- Good intentions don't always lead to good outcomes.
- What is your unfulfilled ambition?
- To have enough time to do everything right.
- How do you relax?
- I enjoy step aerobics and reading 'girl fiction'.
- What is your favorite sport?
- Cross country skiing.
- What is your best place in the world?
- On a hiking path in any of our national parks.
- What is your favorite film?
- Tough question but in general I like romantic comedy, i.e. 'chick flicks'.
- What car do you drive?
- Dodge Durango. For recreation, I ride my motorcycle
- What is your best electronic 'toy'?
- I have no interest in them.
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- "The Dream" series by Nora Roberts.
- Why did you get in involved in GastroHep.com?
- Internet communication and education is the future.