fiogf49gjkf05 Xu" align="left">
Guo-Ming Xu is a Professor of Gastroenterology at the Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China. He was born in Wuxi, in the Jiangshu Province of China, on 10 March 1939.
Professor Xu studied medicine at the First Medical University. After obtaining his Bachelor's degree, he moved to the Changhai Hospital and has been working there for 38 years. He trained in gastroenterology under Professors Jiang Shaoji and Gong Nianci.
Professor Xu was involved in the early application of digestive endoscopy in China, and was one of the first doctors to conduct an endoscopic ultrasonography in that country. Recently he has been involved in duodenal reflux in the pathogenesis of gastroesophageal disease. He has edited more than ten textbooks, and has had more than a hundred papers published.
Professor Xu is a standing committee member and Secretary of the Chinese Society of Gastroenterology. He is also a standing committee member of the Chinese Society of Internal Medicine, Vice Chairmen of the motility group of the Chinese Society of Gastroenterology, Vice Chairmen of the Shanghai Society of Internal Medicine, and Vice Chairmen of the Shanghai Society of Gastroenterology.
He is married to Wei Ailing, a Chief Nurse of Medicine. They have one son.
- What made you decide to become a gastroenterologist?
- When I was a medical student I found there were so many patients suffering from digestive diseases in China. At that time I had made up my mind to become a gastroenterologist.
- Who was the teacher you admired the most?
- Jiang Shaoji must be Number One. It is wonderful to see him doing his ward round. He could always simplify the most difficult cases.
- What is the most important fact that you have discovered?
- That bile reflux played an important role in the pathogenesis of complicated gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- How do you relax?
- What is your favorite sport?
- Chinese Wu-Shu Taijiquan.
- What is your best electronic 'toy'?
- My computer.
- Why did you get in involved in GastroHep.com?
- It is a valuable tool in communication.