fiogf49gjkf0dMarilyn Schaffner" align="left">
Marilyn Schaffner is the interim Clinical Services Administrator at the Medical University of South Carolina.
She has been involved in endoscopy nursing for over fifteen years. Most recently, she was the Nursing Director for the Digestive Disease Center at the Medical University of South Carolina. She was also the President of the United States Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates between 1998 and 1999.
- What made you decide to become a gastroenterologist?
- I am a registered nurse, who became a nurse nearly thirty years ago, because I wanted to make a difference.
- Who was the teacher you admired the most?
- I have two teachers who I admire most. One is from my distant past, and one is more recent. Ms. Rusher is a nursing instructor who taught me all about preventing infection. She was an extremely strict instructor and when one finished with her rotation, you knew the difference between aseptic and septic technique. Dr Peter Cotton is a teacher from my more recent past. Dr Cotton taught me about building endoscopy units, managing endoscopy staff, and the art of getting the most from staff. He taught me how one can achieve success with humility.
- Which research paper influenced you the most?
- No one research paper has influenced me. However, I have a great interest in the more recent research on spirituality and survivorship.
- What is the most important fact that you have discovered?
- Those who do not set out to inspire others are the most inspirational.
- What is your unfulfilled ambition?
- To cannulate the papilla of Vater.
- What is your greatest regret?
- That I did not have more children.
- How do you relax?
- Reading, writing, painting, Tai Chi, and evening walks on the beach - of course, not all at once!
- What is your favorite sport?
- What is your best place in the world?
- Napa Valley, California
- What is your favorite film?
- "Music from Another Room".
- What car do you drive?
- Ford Sportrack - a cross between a car and a truck. I call it a ca-truck.
- What is your best electronic 'toy'?
- My Palm Pilot.
- What book are you reading at the moment?
- "Kitchen Table Wisdom" by Rachel Naomi Remen MD, and "A Walk to Remember", by Nicholas Sparks.
- Why did you get in involved in GastroHep.com?
- Dr Peter Cotton invited me.